Monday, October 10, 2011

Chicken Fajitas With Peaches - The Perfect Summer Recipe

There was a knock on my door the other night. As I looked through my peephole, I saw my neighbor, Jessica, holding a bowling ball size plastic bag of peaches and plums. She and her husband grew up here in West Los Angeles and both sets of parents have fruit trees in their back yard. "We have so much," she told me. "Would you like some?"

Loving summer fruit, I said, "Sure, I'll take a few!"

"Uh...you don't understand. Ben and I have a whole BIG bag of fruit in the house. This is for you, if you'd like them."

You mean this wasn't the BIG bag? I certainly wasn't going to turn her down, so I happily took the fruit. Now, what the heck was I going to DO with all of it? Basically, it's just me and Bobby, my other half. Oh, and my cat, Moe, who, if offered the choice of eating fruit or being snuffled by a German Shepard would seriously have to think about it. Actually, so would Bobby.

This would mean I'd have to eat it or cook it. It just so happened that I had taken out a few chicken breasts to make some fajitas that night. I looked at the ripe peaches. I looked at the fajita ingredients. I looked at the peaches. Why not? I had to change some ingredients to make everything fit, but this is what I came up with. I think the recipe is the perfect combination of refreshing fruit and spicy Mexican flavors. Have fun with it. Try cilantro to the onion mix instead of using the thyme on the chicken, if you'd like. Get creative! I won't mind. Really.

Chicken Fajitas with Peaches

Prep time: 20 minutes

Cook time: 15 minutes

Top of Form

Servings: 4

Nutritional Breakdown per serving:

Calories: 275 Sodium: 86gr

Total Fat: 8gr Total Carbs: 31gr

Sat. Fat: 1gr Fiber: 4gr

Cholesterol: 41gr Sugar: 21gr

Protein: 20gr

Recipe Ingredients

4 halves chicken breast

1 tsp (2g) chili powder

1 tsp, (2g) ground cumin

1 tsp, ground (2g) white pepper

1 tsp, (2g) dried thyme

2 tbsp (14g) Olive Oil

3 cloves (9g) minced fresh garlic

2 large peaches, about 2 cups (154g) sliced thin

3 large sweet onions (331g) sliced thin

1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds and all (14g) chopped (more or less according to heat preference)

1/2 cup (240g) low sodium chicken broth

3 tbsp (16g) balsamic vinegar

Juice of 1/2 lime yields (44g)

Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation

Pre-heat the broiler. Mix the cumin, white pepper, chili powder and thyme together and coat the 4 chicken breasts. Broil chicken breasts, turning after about 5 minutes. Take out and set aside. In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat the oil and add the garlic. After 1 minute, add the peaches. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onions and jalapeno and stir. Cook about 5 minutes. Add balsamic and chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook down until onions are soft and translucent and peaches have become very soft. Add lime juice and stir. Serve with rice or beet flavored tortillas.

Written by Rona Lewis, Fitness and Lifestyle Coach, Healthy Gourmet Chef and Motivational Speaker. You can find lots more tips and recipes on her website. http://www.ronalewis.com/ Her funny, healthy cookbook series, "Does This Cookbook Make Me Look Fat?" is available there, as well!


http://EzineArticles.com/6471394

No comments:

Post a Comment